From: Olenhouse, Jason (jason.olenhouse_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-30 12:15:06

I've read the boost regex docs and I don't see anything about named captures. I see information about
captures using the number notation, $1, $2, etc. I'm assuming that the regex lib doesn't support
named captures, correct?

I looked at the spirit docs and didn't see any mention of it in the regex parser portions. I'm
guessing that spirit doesn't support it either, correct? And by not supporting it I mean an
out-of-the-box solution with the regex parser. I'm sure something more complicated than I could
understand is possible with spirit. I can post to that mailing list if no one here knows.

I'm trying to regex syslog messages for specific pieces of data. Depending on what systems send me
syslog messages the order of the pieces of data may be different. I'd like a solution where I can ask
for the specific piece of data explicitly, instead of having to remember that on system A dataItem1 is
$1, but on system B it's $2. I will always have the same fields that I look for and that won't
change. I'm trying to not complicate my database schema or the make the client's use any more
difficult since they're the ones that write the regex statement. If named captures with the regex lib
or with spirit aren't supported, any ideas on how this might be done would be appreciated. I'm stuck
on boost 1.32, but have been looking for a good excuse to force our development dept. to a newer
release.

-Jason