From: Ovanes Markarian (om_boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-13 02:47:30

David,

Thanks for the answer. I am just curious:

Does boost-consulting sell the CDs to make money, or to make it easier for
the users where all libs are available at once precompiled for different
compiler versions etc.?

I see one major drawback with selling of CDs:
If someone needs boost libs (most probably at work) then they are needed
"right now!". Therefore there is no time to wait until it ships. How much
time would it take to send a CD to Germany? (my case) I think at least one
week :( I cannot wait one week for the CD if I need my project to be done.
If you would offer a complete ISO image or alternatively ZIP for download
for USD 5,- I would pay for it... It is also possible that you make some
kind of an update service where people are notified, that a new ISO with
most recent boost libs is ready. You can also provide a subscription and
some kind of priority support (for one year or 6 months) for USD 100,- (or
more, might depend on support level or support plan), where people can ask
boost consulting for advice, patial concept review, etc. I mean virtual
consulting services in the style of: Ask boost professionals to identify
application flaws at a flat rate.

I don't kwow if the suggested scenario works, but for some Linux companies
this was working well (for some other not).

Best Regards,
Ovanes