From: Paul Giaccone (paulg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-04 07:37:58

Nat Goodspeed wrote:
> I suppose the next round would involve my arguing that it would take me
> many months to implement even part of the functionality in question --
> and the legal staff asking whether my boss should consider someone more
> competent instead. :-/

The answer to that would be to contact the Boost developers for all the
libraries you intend to or might use, and ask them how long it took them
to code up their respective libraries. Add it all up and present that
figure to your boss, pointing out that these people were at least as
competent as you or any other programmer he might care to employ. Does
he *really* want to wait a year or two for the code you are writing for him?

You might also want to ask your boss whether he is concerned that
Microsoft (or whoever wrote your compiler) might sue for use of their
version of C++, or whether he thinks Bjarne Stroustrup might be sending
you a writ... Of course, that would just be ridiculous, wouldn't it? ;)

Definitely take your boss out for lunch - somewhere where the wine is
very good, and then put your arguments to him around about, oh, I don't
know, when you're having coffee and liqueurs :)

Paul