From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-04 12:46:35

> [Nat] To play devil's advocate for a moment -- I'm sure the legal
> dept. would say that's because Microsoft promises protection from such
> actions, in return for the license fee.

I think that the microsoft license agreement - along with all others in
current use, are pretty explicit in saying they don't offer ANY guarentees
in this regard. I would love to see where microsoft compensates
me for legal trouble that results from using microsoft software.

> If I could show precedent where someone attempted to sue users of (or
> developers who integrated) an Open Source project -- but lost -- that
> would be a stronger argument.

You probably won't find such a precedent unless someone has actually
brought such a suit. If no one has, that would be strong evidence
that your legal departments fears are unrealistic. Of course they could
say "Well the fact that that no one has sued and lost makes it riskier
that we get sued" - LOL. Well, no one has found physical evidence
of space aliens - just goes to prove how clever they are.

You can never resolve anything with a dumb lawyer.

Good Luck

Robert Ramey