From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-04 14:00:15

"Nat Goodspeed" <ngoodspeed_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Can I make a case that the small incremental costs in coding time and
> reliability would add up to a bigger hit than the hypothetical risk of
> lawsuit?

Absolutely, and they're not small and incremental, especially in the
long run. Having weak abstractions is fatal to the long-term health
of any codebase. It kills maintainability and development velocity,
and often causes either a very expensive rewrite, or stagnation that
costs the code its ability to remain competitive.

> It seems doubtful, since all the factors involved in such an
> argument are sheer guesswork -- and every party will believe their
> own guesses rather than their opponents'.

If I were working in a development organization that didn't understand
the fundamental importance of strong abstractions, I'd be trying hard
to remedy that. And failing that, I'd be looking for a different
venue in which to practice my craft. No developer needs that kind of
pain.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting