From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-05 15:07:38

Zachary Mark <zmark <at> cleversafe.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Our application is using boost::program_options to parse commandline
> arguments. We have found that when we perform our own builds of boost
> from source code, program_options freezes the application hard at
> variable points in the code (a step through in GDB confirms this).
> However, when we use pre-built binaries of the program_options library
> for any of our target OSes (Debian stable, Centos 4, Fedora 4) the
> application runs properly.
>
> We are also using the boost::thread library. Are there thread safety or
> interaction issues between thread and program_options that I am not
> aware of? We are using 1.32 due a change in the behavior of
> program_options in 1.33. This script shows how we are building boost.

You did not indicate where the library hangs (i.e. did not provide a complete
backtrace). If it's in some threading-related function, it means that you're
using wrong version of the library. If you application is multi-threaded, you
must link to MT build of program_options. One important aspect of this is that
MT mode changes layout of shared_ptr, which is used in program_options public
interface, so mismatch in MT mode between the library and the program causes
sure problems.

> # run configure
>
> cd libs/config || fail-configure
> chmod +x configure || fail "error: could not change permissions on
> ${PACKAGE} configure script"
> ./configure || fail-configure
> cp user.hpp ../../boost/config/
>
> cd ../..
>
> # build and install libraries
>
> BOOST_LIBS="date_time filesystem program_options regex thread"
>
> for LIB in ${BOOST_LIBS}; do
> echo "Building library ${LIB}..."
> bjam -sTOOLS=gcc -sBUILD="release threading=multi" --with-${LIB} \
> --layout="system" stage 2>&1 || \
> fail "error: could not build boost library ${LIB}"
> bjam -sTOOLS=gcc -sBUILD="release threading=multi" --with-${LIB}
> --layout="system" \
> --prefix=`pwd`/../../${INSTALL_DIR} install 2>&1 || \
> fail "error: could not install boost library ${LIB}"
> done
>
> Thanks in advance.

Well, this looks reasonable. Do you build your own application in such a way
that Boost things its multi-threaded?

- Volodya