From: Dan Notestein (ivanr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-11 18:27:21

After thinking about it some more, I think we can avoid the whole
need for a fixup in the vector case. The trick is to put the object
in it's final container first, then deserialize using that location, thus
avoiding the need to call reset_object_address for any vector of vectors
data structure.

The above technique won't work for the non-sequential containers,
unfortunately, as their insertion point is set by the element's data contents.

I do have some ideas about how to handle the non-sequential containers
and also for making more complex data structures serializable in general,
such as enabling ptrs to data to be stored before storing
containers that directly "contain" the data and enabling ptrs into
the internal contents of objects, but the techniques for this
will take a bit of time to implement and I needed to get a fix for the
vector case ASAP, as it's holding up some work stuff.

Anyways, here's the code change I'm proposing for the
vectors of vectors case:

// sequential container input
template<class Archive, class Container>
struct archive_input_seq
{
    inline void operator()(
        Archive &ar,
        Container &s,
        const unsigned int v
    ){
        typedef BOOST_DEDUCED_TYPENAME Container::value_type type;
        detail::stack_construct<Archive, type> t(ar, v);
        s.push_back(t.reference()); //DLN put element on vector before
deserialization
        // borland fails silently w/o full namespace
        ar >> boost::serialization::make_nvp("item", s.back()); //DLN operate on container element instead of temp
element object
        //DLN no longer need to reset address of element
        //DLN ar.reset_object_address(& s.back() , & t.reference());
    }
};

I do have a simple test case for this that I can package up in a few days, when things
slow down a little here.

best regards,
Dan