From: Leandro Melo (ltcmelo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-17 09:56:47

Hi!
Some of boost algorithms require a vertex_index_map. Since I'm not
very familiar with bgl, I don't know if there're any which also
require an edge_index_map. If the algorithms were parametrized by the
above maps, we could use vectors indexed by the the values in this
maps to create capacity_maps, distance_maps, weight_maps and any other
maps required by the algorithm (however, to maintain the same level of
flexibility we would have to allow the users to parameterize the value
types of this vectors). And we would still have constant time access
to the maps (like the default boost map implementations in the
algorithms).
Just for a matter of curiosity, what are advantages between using
boost's strategy and the one I described above (in which all maps
would be vectors)?
The major benefit I can see on boost's current strategy is
flexibility. The user can use any map implementation he/she wants
(maybe this maps comes from legacy applications). There's also the
possibility of implementing readable and writable maps.
What are others advantages? And what could be the drawbacks of using
this vector aproach?
Thanks.

--
Leandro Terra C. Melo