From: Ames Andreas (Andreas.Ames_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-22 06:42:47

I think the callability of signals is just a detail. Libsigc++ seems to prefer signal.emit() (although they also have operator()).

A slot corresponds to the Observer (in the corresponding GoF pattern), i.e the receipient of a signal (which comes closest to the subject in the GoF pattern).

Regarding the terminology: IIRC, it was introduced by a signal/slot lib in C, unfortunately I can't find the links, sorry (I'd also be interested in them, if anyone can find them). There are quite some implementations in C++: Qt, libsigc++, boost and others. On the libsigc++ mailing list was a discussion about the terminology, you can find it in the thread starting with http://mail.gnome.org/archives/libsigc-list/2005-July/msg00014.html.

cheers,

aa

--
Andreas Ames | Programmer | Comergo GmbH |
Voice:  +49 69 7505 3213 | ames AT avaya DOT com