From: Rush Manbert (rush_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-24 14:45:02

Kim Barrett wrote:
> At 5:15 PM -0700 8/23/06, Rush Manbert wrote:
>
>>Rene Rivera wrote:

>>> Unfortunately... I have no clue why you don't get the multi-thread libs.
>>> They did get generated, and tested, for the release. For example the
>>> thread libs
>>>
>>><http://engineering.meta-comm.com/boost-regression/1_33_1/developer/thread_release.html>.
>>>

>>Thanks for the reply. I have poked around a little bit more. By placing
>>#warnings in config/compiler/gcc.hpp and in config/suffix.hpp (which
>>appears to be the only place that BOOST_HAS_THREADS is undefined) I know
>>that if I run the default bjam with the Darwin toolset, then
>>BOOST_HAS_THREADS is defined for every file that is compiled. Does this
>>mean that all of the multi-threading support is enabled in every
>>library? If so, then something still seems wrong, but at least I am
>>building multi-thread libraries.
>

> I haven't used MacOSX extensively for development, but it appears that it
> *only* supports multi-threaded compilation. For example, the version of
> gcc that Apple provides doesn't accept the -pthread option; it's always
> turned on and I don't know of a way to turn it off if one wanted to. It
> isn't clear whether you are using bare darwin, or darwin on MacOSX, and
> I don't know if that distinction actually matters for this.

It's MacOSX 10.4.7. All I want are multi-threaded libraries, but I also
build other third party libraries from source and all of those packages
produce both variants on MacOSX. (Or at least they produce libraries
with the appropriate names. Maybe the single-thread versions are really
multi-thread and they're lying with the names. I hadn't considered that
possibility.)

It certainly *appears* that I'm building multi-thread libraries, despite
the names not including the "-mt", but I was hoping that one of the
developer gurus could confirm that this is true as long as
BOOST_HAS_THREADS is defined for all the compiles in the build. If
that's true, then I'll drop the subject, and maybe resurrect it if 1.34
appears to do the same thing.

- Rush