From: Ferentinos, Jerry (jerry_ferentinos_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-25 14:09:18

Matt Schuckmann wrote:
> Up to using NAnt that sounds pretty much like what I want to do. Right
> now I'm pretty much just having CC.NET do the build via the Dev Studio
> command line interface. We are still on .NET 2003 right now but the 2005
> disks should be here next week.

> What does using NAnt buy you that CC.NET doesn't have?

> Do you have CC.NET do anything with the results of the unit tests, I.E
> have it display the tests/test_suites run, have it display errors and
> maybe even notify when people when test fail? I know that Boost.Test can
> produce xml output but I don't know how to begin to have CC.NET consume
it.

The benefit of NAnt is that it is able to launch build of Visual Studio
solutions, there's no having to mess with command lines and the like.
Another benefit is NAnt integration with our version control system
(ClearCase). Basically we have CruiseControl observe the ClearCase
integration stream, issuing NAnt builds when new deliveries appear in the
stream. NAnt is used to control the whole build process as well as running
the tests and reacting to their results. Using NAnt we're able to perform
many of the administrative tasks involved in version control and
configuration management as well as promote the baselines as they pass
through our build/smoke/integration tests.

For CC.NET to consume Boost.Test output you will have to write an XSL
transform to convert Boost.Test XML output to a format recognized by CC.NET.

Jerry Ferentinos
Basic Research Informatics
Merck Frosst Center for Therapeutic Research
www.merckfrosstlab.ca

New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known
outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD
and in Japan, as Banyu - direct contact information for affiliates is
available at http://www.merck.com/contact/contacts.html) that may be
confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this
message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then
delete it from your system.