From: Paul Davis (pjdavis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-29 11:00:02

If you're willing to dig into assembly and SSE instructions for your
processor, its possible you could do an exhaustive search in O(N) time (N
being the lenght of the string your searching in). I don't know too much
about the whole thing, but I do know that some processors have a vector math
function that allows you to compare up to something like 16 single byte
values in one cycle. Pretty nifty, but like I say, I haven't any idea on
how to actually code it.

Paul