From: Roman Neuhauser (neuhauser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-29 20:36:39

# danova_fr_at_[hidden] / 2006-08-29 13:08:04 +0000:
> If the regex i'm looking for is "testing" and the string to search the regex
> for is "tastung" (obviously this is a short example but i'm dealing with
> more complex regular expressions.
>
> how can i get the number of mismatches.

    You can not. Not with regular expressions, you chose a completely
    wrong tool for the job. When the regex machine runs into a mismatch
    it abandons that branch. You would be very unhappy about performance
    of any regex machine that would provide the feature you're looking
    for.

    Hmm, a quick googling finds agrep and TRE, I have no idea if these
    would do what you need, you don't seem to provide enough context,
    and I have a feeling you are asking for a wrong solution to your
    problem.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.