From: Matthew Bourdua (bourduam_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-04 18:54:38

Hello,

This is my first time posting to the boost mailing list. I certainly
apologize if I am going about posting my question to the wrong way.

I was just wondering if anyone has experiencing using boost with the
Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK (with Visual Studio 2005). I am having some
trouble getting the most basic setup to build correctly. I am simply
trying to build / deploy to the WM5.0 emulator at this point.

Steps that I went through:

1. Create a new "Win32 Smart Device" project for the Windows
Mobile 5.0 SDK, with all default settings

2. Copy the code from the regex overview page:
http://www.boost.org/libs/regex/doc/introduction.html into the main .cpp
file.

3. Change all std::string to std::wstring, change all
boost::regex to boost::wregex, and all "literal strings" to L"literal
strings".

4. Set the "include" and "library" directories to point to the
boost files

5. Initial build failed because "#error unknown CE Compiler" was
tripped on line 133 of visualc.hpp.

6. I commented out the #error statement, and added the line
"#define BOOST_COMPILER_VERSION 8.0" - Was this a mistake?

7. Next build, I got a fatal error: <locale>, which is #included
in regex_workaround.hpp could not be found.

8. I "fixed" this by defining BOOST_NO_STD_LOCALE - because I
noticed that this would cause the compiler to skip over the #include
statement - Was this a mistake?

9. Now when I build I get 3 warnings on lines 52,53, and 54 of
interlocked.hpp that _InterlockedIncrement, _IterlockedDecrement, and
_InterlockedCompareExchange are not available as intrinsic functions.

10. I also get a number of unusual link errors:

- an "unresolved external" link error for
"_InterlockedDecrement" - doesn't make sense since InterlockedDecrement
is a valid WinCE 5.0 function (and the correct headers and libraries are
included in the build)

- an "unresolved external" link error for "basic_regex< wchar_t,
."

- a "machine type 'X86' conflicts with target machine type
'THUMB'" link error

I am able to get around the first error by defining BOOST_USE_WINDOWS_H
because I noticed that this would cause the compiler to use a different
chunk of code (is this a mistake?). However, I am not certain what to
do about the unresolved boost_regex, and target machine conflict errors.
I believe both conflicts exist because I built the boost libraries for
X86 deployment, and they do not link correctly for Win CE deployment. I
built the libraries using bjam, according to this page:
http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started.html. Frankly, I don't know
how to build the libraries in such a way that they can target Win CE
(assuming this is the issue).

Alternatively, does anybody know if it is possible the use boost::regex
by simply including the .h / .cpp files in the project itself, and
building them along with the rest of the project? It is not clear to me
if this is even possible. However, I would actually prefer this method.

NOTE: Using these exact same steps I was able to build the project as a
standard Win32 (that is, Non-Win CE) console project, and it ran
correctly. This is true both with BOOST_NO_STD_LOCALE defined, and
without it.

I would appreciate any help or insight that you could provide.

Thanks,

Matt