From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-06 03:35:47

"John Zulauf Yahoo" <jzulauf_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I am attempting to build and install boost_1_33_1 using the MSVS 8
> instructions at
>
> http://www.boost.org/tools/build/v1/vc-8_0-tools.html

Those are not really instructions for building Boost. Did you look at
http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started.html?

> and the prebuilt bjam boost-jam-3.1.13-1-ntx86.zip
> <http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/boost/boost-jam-3.1.13-1-ntx86.zip?downl
> oad>

You might try downloading or building the bjam executable that
corresponds to the 1.33.1 release. To build: open the Visual C++
Command Prompt (in your programs menu), go to the boost\jam\src
subdirectory of your Boost distribution, and type

  build

You should end up with a bjam executable in the .\bin.ntx86\
subdirectory.

> and bjam fails (apparently) with a "send error report" dialog every time it
> is run.

What exactly does it say in this dialog?

> I also tried the instructions at
> http://lists.boost.org/boost-users/2006/09/21938.php with the same results.
>

> What am I doing wrong? Do I have the wrong version of bjam.exe?

Maybe.

> Why the two different sets of instructions?

Rene was giving a user help tailored to his specific build
environment. I'm sure if you look through all the mailing list
archives on the web you'll find many such sets of instructions.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting