From: Roman Neuhauser (neuhauser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-14 18:05:54

# jeff_at_[hidden] / 2006-09-14 10:57:36 -0700:
> Is it economical to spend time writing code to check a 'getter'/'setter'
> interface that will just obviously work? The answer is no. In fact, the
> testing you can avoid, just like the coding you can avoid, is really a big
> part of successful big system development.

    I often write such tests because I know I tend to make this kind of
    mistakes (unfinished editing after copy/paste):

    struct astruct {
    int x() { return x_; }
    int y() { return y_; }
    int z() { return x_; }
    private: int x_, y_, z_;
    }

    Hoping that I'll spot these while checking the code after I add it
    proved to be hopeless, and these microscope tests pinpoint the
    problem. Otherwise I need to track the bug from the results of
    higher level tests, which may usually takes (me) more time.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.