From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-16 01:44:26

I much prefer to know that all objects are always valid. Otherwise I have
to constantly keep in my mind the state of the objects as I read through the
program. A small piece of code is not "transparently correct" as it depends
on a "hidden" internal state. This means I have to rely more on program
testing and will have more hard to find bugs. As the program gets large,
(and they're always getting larger!) the problem just gets worse. In order
for me to be confident that a given program is correct (or has few bugs) is
for it to be composed of individually verifiably correct modules. So
minimizing the number of internal states helps correctness.

Of course I realize that this is not always possible to eliminate "two phase
construction" - in C++ often due the problems of handling exceptions in
constructors but I still I prefer to minimise this.

"Exploratory Progamming" - I haven't heard of this but I can imagine what it
might mean. It doesn't sound good to me. Though I must confess I have
fallen into the habit of testing ideas - but, in my case, this usually
means relying on compile time syntax checking to help figure out how to use
boost libaries which often isn't easy from the documentation.

Robert Ramey