From: Sean Huang (huangsean_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-01 13:42:06

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost-users_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2006 12:47 PM
Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [date-time]time zone input

> No plans at this point. There's a basic problem in that %q/%Q doesn't
> have
> enough information to construct a timezone object that has DST rules and
> such
> so the only thing the library could do is assume the TZ doesn't have DST.
> Of
> course, that mostly a poor assumption so it could lead to nasty errors...

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. There are standards that specificy date-time in
formats similar to:

YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.FFFFFF&ZZZZ

Without input support for ZZZZ, we have to implement messy workarounds if we
want to continue using boost::date_time.

I'm not an expert on date-time so please bear with my naive questions.
It is not obvious to me why a simple time zone with only time-offset could
lead to nasty errors. Isn't the format above enough to convert a time to UTC
unambiguously?

Best regards,

Sean