From: Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-10 01:29:46

I am in need of a path-finding function, and decided to give
astar_search from BGL a try. However, I have found to my surprise that
astar_search requires a VertexList graph. Looking at the source code, I
see that it does indeed try to iterate over all vertices. I find this
unreasonable. My graph is not infinite, but it is large, and iterating
over several hundred million vertices would completely kill performance
for me. (I intend to perform several of these searches per
millisecond.) I know for a fact that it is possible to implement A*
without iterating over all vertices. What is the rationale behind the
current astar_search implementation?

--
Rainer Deyke - rainerd_at_[hidden]