From: Reusser, Edward (Edward.Reusser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-13 15:48:06

Robert,

Thanks for the quick response. I have ensured that the serialization
for each type is located in exactly one place. The header files where
the serialization code resides for the derived classes are not global,
that is, our build system is set up to ensure that no other library or
DLL can reference them.

I believe that I can make the serialization completely independent and
contained inside the DLL without much difficulty. However, unless I
statically link the serialization library, I don't think I can prevent
the macro:

BOOST_CLASS_EXPORT_GUID( class, "ClassNameText" )

from initializing the global table inside the serialization DLL (which
is dynamically linked). I noticed that when I tried to use the other
registration technique you describe, register_type<T>(), this also calls
the registration code in the serialization DLL on load, so that doesn't
solve the problem.

It doesn't seem very practical to serializing in/out a prototype of each
derived class into the archive initially because it would increase the
archive size by a lot.

Too bad there isn't a mechanism for creating a registration table
specific to the DLL where the classes are serialized. If the global
table was of the following structure:

        using namespace std;
        map< HMODULE, map<string, ETI*> >;

Then the above macro would simply use AfxGetInstanceHandle (in the case
of windows, I am unsure what the corresponding calls in other OS's would
be), to pass the HMODULE handle.

Ed