From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-15 23:32:51

"Reusser, Edward" <Edward.Reusser_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
Robert,

But the same exact problem occurs. Even using boost serialization, a text
value within 2 tags cannot exceed about ½ megabyte in length if it contains
escaped character sequences, because when it is read back it will not be
properly converted to XML. I know the entire XML string is being translated
out to the file because I can open the file and see that it is correct.
Furthermore, the serialization library doesn't report any errors in reading
the key/value pairs. It isn't until I parse the value using the
xml_iarchive that it fails.

****
I suspect that both serialization and xerces are having the same problem.
The problem is that standards for xml/html escape sequences are ambiguous.
and not correctly escaped. This occurs when the string includes non-string
charactes like null, and who knows what else. Its probably not a hard fix -
but would take alot of time to sort the all the varying standardese. If
anyone want's todo this let me know. If your doing 1/2 mb of string - its
possible it contains some wierd characters that neither xerces nor I know
what to do with.

So a couple of things to try would be:

a) try xml_wachive - this stores data in UTF-8 and might be more robust.
b) try stroign the string as a "binary object". This would consume more
spaces as it
stores the data in binary coded text - but should be bullit proof.
c) If you really, really need this, and you want to do your bit for
humanity, you can checkout the xml escape/unescape that the serialization
library uses. This is a little out of whack as it uses one method -
dataflow iterators to escape, and another - spirit parser to unescape.
Maybe that should be changed or at lease looked at. When in doubt - I
prefer symmetry as should be apparent from the naming conventions used by
the serialization library.

As for the 2nd crash, using text_iarchive and text_oarchive within Library
B, this still gives the internal structure overflow error. When I get time
to go back and look at it again, I will probably rewrite it so that all of
the shared_ptr's are stored directly and make other simplifications.

If you have a mechanism for me to send this DLL directly to you, then I will
attempt to get permission to do so.

***
Errrr - thanks but no thanks. I woud prefer to run this via through you.

Robert Ramey