From: Reusser, Edward (Edward.Reusser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-16 12:22:34

Robert,

The 1/2 megabyte string being converted is pure XML generated by the xml_oarchive and read in using xml_iarchive in the boost serialization library. It is being inserted as a single tag of an XML item serialized entirely by the xml_oarchive and xml_iarchive in the boost serialization library. I believe that there are only 5 characters that need to be converted: less than (<), greater than (>), quote ("), apostrophe ('), and ampersand (&).

Changing a block of text containing these characters to their corresponding escape sequences doesn't seem very difficult to me. It is being done completely automatically by the serialization library.

Our current solution, which uses a text archive on the front end and stores the internal strings as xml seems to work for now and completely avoids this conversion. I just wanted to let you know that the conversion routine in the boost serialization library doesn't work for large buffers.

I had to laugh at your response at sending this library to you. That certainly wouldn't have been MY first choice, but I did want to make the offer.

Ed