From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-12 12:05:53

I've compiled and run your example on my VC 7.1 setup using the the version
in the HEAD and it compiles and executes fine. Your experiments suggest
that it is a compiler dependent issue. So I can't pinpoint anything.

However, I could offers some suggestions on your example which might or
might not help. Feel free to accept or reject them.

Your example looks correct to me. But includes a number of behaviors which
to me are a little non-obvious to me and I sort of distrust compilers to get
it right when its not obvious to me.

a) I wouldn't have named a function string serialize(...). I'm concerned
about the compiler getting the overloading wrong. At the very least it makes
the example harder to understand.

b) The following bit:

string serialize(const base * const b){