From: Bo Peng (ben.bob_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-20 15:11:27

I guess this is a boost/bjam bug... What I did was:

1. download and uncompress boost-1.33.1, build bjam.exe

2. download official zlib package and unpack to c:\zlib

3. run
    $ bjam -sTOOLS=mingw -sNO_COMPRESSION=0 -sNO_BZIP2=1 -sNO_ZLIB=0
-sZLIB_INCLUDE=c:/zlib/include -sZLIB_LIBPATH=cL/zlib/lib
-sZLIB_BINARY=zdll --prefix=c:/boost --with-iostreams install

  bjam says something like bzip2 support is disabled, which I
interpret as zlib is supported, and produces .lib, .dll without
problem.

4. After numerous failed links, I had a look at
boost_1_33_1\bin\boost\libs\iostreams\build\libboost_iostreams.lib\mingw\debug
and found only two object files, no zlib.obj!

5. I read the manual again and see ZLIB_SOURCE needs to be specified,
I download zlib source, and add option -sZLIB_SOURCE=c:\zlib\src. This
time, I get error message:

unknown dependent target <@boost!libs!build>libboost_zlib.lib.

6. If I copy the iostream source files (except for bzip2.cpp) to my
project and compile, everything is OK and no zlib source is ever
needed.

Conclusions:

1. bjam should report error if NO_COMPRESSION=0 and NO_ZLIB=0, but
zlib.cpp can not be compiled for any reason.

2. Why zlib source is needed?

3. How can I build iostreams with zlib under windows/mingw?

Many thanks in advance.
Bo