From: Roland Schwarz (roland.schwarz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-28 11:28:49

Andrew Marlow wrote:
>> 1) Building the boost library on top of pthread instead of
>> native WinThreads?
>
> Yes. Once the boost libs (and a few examples) have built ok I will then
> release these as prebuilts.

Sorry this does not make sense to me, as this would imply your project
will be using the boost library: Boost.Thread. So normally you wouldn't
want to have them use the pthread implementation in turn. The only
exception I can think of is when you are doing some performance testing.
Usually the Boost.Thread on native windows API will be faster than on
top of pthreads, since there is one emulation layer less.

> I will have to do this for a number of
> versions of Visual Studio. Then for VC71 I will use the prebuilt boost
> lib to build my own project. It will be developed using the VC71 IDE but
> will be built overnight by a perl script that uses msdev in command line
> mode. This overnight job will not build boost, it will pick up the boost
> prebuilt.

So I assume you are attempting to build the boost library?
If so, simply read the getting started from the boost homepage and then
precompiler your library, which basically has to be done from the boost
root directory: bjam -s"TOOLS=vc-7_1" install
which will install to C:\Boost directory by default.
(The above is for version 1.33, upcoming 1.34 is different. )
As an alternative you might also download the prebuilt binary versions
of the lib.

So where does the pthread enter into this now?

Roland