From: Roland Schwarz (roland.schwarz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-28 12:02:37

Andrew Marlow wrote:
> Things are not normal here. My app has to use an in-house lib that was
> coded using pthreads. When that lib had to be available on windoze they
> did it by using the win32 port of pthreads. My app has to use this
> in-house lib, hence I have to link with the win32 port of pthreads. But
> I also want to do my own threading. I want to do it in a
> platform-independent way so I choose boost threads.

Ok the mist is rasing ;-)

There should be no problem mixing pthread and Boost.Thread. I.e. your
inherited lib can use pthread while your new code can use Boost.Thread
on the native API.

But if on the other hand for whatever reason you want to take the
additional (IMHO unnecessary step) to build boost thread on top of
pthread you can. Here is how we go:

Open the file BOOST_ROOT/libs/thread/build/threads.jam
Follow the instructions found there and set up your environment
variables accordingly. Then build the library as usual. You will find an
additional library in C:\Boost\lib which has the ptw32 tag in it. Link
your final executables with this library instead of the one without the
tag. This should do it.

Again the whole mess isn't worth doing it.

And then you should not need to fiddle around with the configure. You
need not have BOOST_HAS_PTHREAD defined. This in your case is an
internal detail.

Roland