From: pete_at_[hidden]
Date: 2007-01-02 00:13:35

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 11:01:20PM -0600, Rene Rivera wrote:
> pete_at_[hidden] wrote:
> >

> > Actually, autoconf/automake can do much of that for you in many cases.
>
> Yes, with considerable extra pain. Boost.Build can do the same with
> considerably less pain... But that's not what the OP asked about ;-)

It's only extra pain to learn it, but in the end, it's quite useful. It
also helps in a load of other apps that use autoconf. I'm sure
boost.build is great, but autoconf is so prevalent, I started with that.

I'm just trying to be helpful. Those kinds of problems he's having used
to be a part of my life until I started using autoconf. Those issues
went away 99%, and it helps a great deal in the opensource experience to
know it. autoconf/automake/etc... are incredibly powerful and
ubiquitous.

There are a lot of good ways to deal with that, but "waiting" for
someone else to fix it, doesn't really solve the problem in helpful
many. So, instead of passing the buck, I was trying to let him know
what has helped me.

That's my 2 cents,

Pete