From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-02 08:56:38

"Andrew Marlow" <Andrew.Marlow_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I am trying to build boost using the win32 port of pthreads.

Is that a supported configuration? Hmm, I see some (rather
discouraging) comments about it in the Jamfile, but I don't think
we've tested that arrangement for many releases. Not surprising
you're having trouble.

> The command I use is:
>
> bjam -STOOLS=vc-7_1 -sPTW32_DIR="where-i-put-win32-pthreads"
> -sPTW32_LIB="pthreadVC.lib" stage
>
> The error I get is:
>
> LINK : warning LNK4001: no object files specified; libraries used
> LINK : warning LNK4068: /MACHINE not specified; defaulting to X86
> LINK : fatal error LNK1561: entry point must be defined
>
> Would be nice of Mico$oft said ***which*** entrypoint is missing.
> Without that little snippet of information I can only guess....
>
> The log shows the linker command line used:
>
> CALL "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
> 2003\VC7\bin\VCVARS32.BAT" >nul
> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\VC7\bin\link"
> /nologo /INCREMENTAL:NO
> /LIBPATH:e:\work\overnight\win_extern\lib"
> /DEBUG /DLL /subsystem:console
> /out:"..\..\..\bin\boost\libs\regex\build\boost_regex.dll\vc-7_1\debug\t
> hreading-multi\
> boost_regex-vc71-mt-gd-1_33_1.dll"
> /IMPLIB:"..\..\..\bin\boost\libs\regex\build\boost_regex.dll\vc-7_1\debu
> g\threading-multi\
> boost_regex-vc71-mt-gd-1_33_1.lib"
> @"..\..\..\bin\boost\libs\regex\build\boost_regex.dll\vc-7_1\debug\threa
> ding-multi\
> boost_regex-vc71-mt-gd-1_33_1.CMD"

Well, that's interesting; I can think of no reason that the
pthreadwin32 options shouldn't affect anything about the build of the
Regex library. Do you get the same results if you leave out the
-sPTW32_XXX options?

> The CMD file just contains a list of the object files.

Also interesting; the linker warning claims there were no object files
specified.

> Any ideas please?

I'm afraid I have no idea. I would probably start by whittling down
the command line issued by bjam until you get sometihng that seems to
be more-or-less correct, so you can identify what the problem is.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting