From: Server Levent Yilmaz (leventyilmaz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-07 17:16:35

On 1/7/07, Peter Dimov <pdimov_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Server Levent Yilmaz wrote:
>
> This definitely sounds like a compiler bug. But your code isn't quite
> standard-conforming. You ought to use a pointer to member, not
> reinterpret_cast tricks.

Hi Peter,

My concerns about the sample code not being quite right was actually not
this reinterpret_casts (though, I do agree that they are a bit fishy --
please see next paragraph). I was worried about temporary lambda expressions
and function objects being carried around to other scopes. I can not quite
see if this valid or not..

As a side discussion, well it is kind of off topic but now that you brought
it up, there was a case where I couldn't get away with using member pointers
and needed this pointer algebra. I'd appreciate any idea on this. The
problem is simple. Take this struct,

struct A { double a[3]; }

For, this I needed to callback, say, a[2]. A callback facility designed
with member pointers wouldn't be able to handle this case. Right?

--
Server Levent Yilmaz
Mechanical Engineering @ PITT