From: Gennadiy Rozental (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-25 11:34:02

"Stephen Torri" <storri_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>I have the following code for a sample test. I was wondering how I can
> move code that is common to a long off different test files to a common
> location and use inheritance?

Why would you want to use an inheritance (just a general question)?

> In the code below I can do two things. If
> its indeed generic I can encapsulate it in a common class used in the
> tests. Secondly I could put test_one and test_two in a class and inherit
> from the parent generic class. What is the best solution for what I am
> trying to do?

To be frank with you I do not see anything particular generic in the code
below and don't really understand what you are trying to do. Could you
please give some more detailes. Than I probably be able to give some
recommendations.

> Stephen
>
> ----------CODE--------------
>
> #include <boost/test/unit_test.hpp>
> #include <fstream>
>
> using namespace boost::unit_test;
> using namespace boost::unit_test_framework;

You don't need secont using statement. Both namespaces are synonims.

> class A {}
> class B {}
>
> A*
> helper_run_test ( B& target_ref,
> std::string target_file )
> {
> ... do work on B and return A* result
> }
>
> void test_one ()
> {
> B& b_ref;

That's invalid

> A* helper_run_test ( b, "Apple" );
> .. perform a BOOST_CHECK_EQUAL
> }
>
> void test_two ()
> {
> B& b_ref;
> A* helper_run_test ( b, "Peach" );
> .. perform a BOOST_CHECK_EQUAL
> }

> test_suite*
> init_unit_test_suite ( int, char**)
> {
> test_suite* test = BOOST_TEST_SUITE ("My test suite");
>
> test->add ( BOOST_TEST_CASE ( &test_one ) );
> test->add ( BOOST_TEST_CASE ( &test_two ) );
>
> return test;
> }

I recommend you to avoid init_unit_test_suite and use BOOST_AUTO_TEST_CASE
instead.

Gennadiy