From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-25 12:34:51

Marc Wäckerlin wrote:
> I attached the latest, standalone-compilable example. Compiles with:
> g++ serializer.cxx -lboost_serialization
>
> Robert Ramey wrote:
>> Marc Wäckerlin wrote:
>>> The following is missing in the example:
>>> 1. #include <boost/archive/detail/iserializer.hpp>
>> I'm really interested in knowing what part of this "#include" is
>> making things easier with your compiler. I'm attaching
>> updated versions of files I would like to seen tested with your
>> compiler.
>
> Then I'm not very lucky:
>
> In file included from serializer.cxx:4:
> /usr/include/boost/archive/detail/common_iarchive.hpp:22:53: error:
> boost/archive/detail/register_archive.hpp: Datei oder Verzeichnis
> nicht gefunden

OK - thanks for trying. I'm working with code from HEAD (1.35) which
is sufficiently different that we can't just "mix and match".

>>> 2. Overwriting "template<class T> void save_override(const T& t,
>>> int)" is mandatory, not optional!
>>
>> Mandatory to make it compile or make it work for your application?
>
> Mandatory to compile.

OK -

a) BOOST_SERIALIZATION_SPLIT_FREE(...) can only be
used outside of any namespace. I've added this to the documentation
Note that split_free.hpp should also be included.

b) I've investigated 2) above and found that there there is an
error common-?archive.hpp which only appears for the most recent compilers.
I've now fixed it on my machine and tested with various compilers. Now
both your example and the "trivial_iarchive" from the documentation
compile without errors.

Thanks for your help in spotting this.

Robert Ramey