From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-31 11:18:14

OK. Let me re-phrase this.

I believe that the only time BOOST_CLASS_EXPORT (or something like it)
should be necessary is when one serializes a derived class through an
abstract pointer. It has two functions. First, it ensures that code
which would not be otherwise instantiated is in fact instantiated. Second,
it relates an externalizable text string to the type being serialized.

Robert Ramey