From: pwm (pwmiller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-09 10:47:13

Robert Ramey wrote:
> I modified demo_shared_ptr to use NVP. It compiled, linked and ran
> with no warnings or errors of any kind.
>
> I'm using the HEAD version and their are significant differences with
> shared pointer serialization, but I don't know if that is what's different.
Robert,
First of all---thank you for your help and for all of your work to
develop and support this wonderful serialization library.

I have narrowed down my problem---I think it is a general problem with
the 1.33.1 serialization library with xml archives and VC8. I have
reproduced the problem by modifying demo_shared_ptr.cpp to use xml
archives rather than text archives. The class registration for type B
fails.

That is, I modified the original regsitrations (in the addition by DT
section of main), which were using the old implementation details of
shared ptr to be

         oa.register_type<A>( static_cast<A*>( NULL ) );
         oa.register_type<B>( static_cast<B*>( NULL ) );

This compiles and works fine for text archives, but fails to compile
with xml archives with the static assert error that an nvp wrapper has
not be used. In your modified demo_shared_ptr example, are you using
xml archives too?

>> P.S. I would try using the head or a stable point in CVS, but I cannot
>> access the boost cvs repository. Is there a place where I can
>> download a zip of 1.34?

Is there any way I can get a zip copy of the HEAD of boost?

Thanks,
Phil