From: Boris Kolpackov (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-13 06:38:14

Hi Abir,

abir basak <abirbasak_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Yes, the grammar of the file format is specific, just like xhtml or
> mathml doesn't need to match all nodes.

XHTML is an XML 1.0 which means it can contain all kinds of valid
XML constructs, including entity references, CDATA, etc. I believe
InkML is the same.

I think unless you control the production of XML and can restrict
the feature set used (for example as boost serialization does), you
are really forcing yourself into a corner since you won't be able
to handle all valid instances of your vocabulary.

> > Highly unlikely since most of the XML parsers are hand-coded.
> >
> Not sure why! I always had specific xml parsers in Antlr (the highly
> used language recognition tool) faster than the generic one.

It is possible that you can come up with an Antlr-generated parser
for a subset of XML that is faster than the general-purpose parser.
Though I still doubt it and will believe it when I see the benchmark
results ;-). Of course we are talking about comparing high-performance
parsers such as SAX2 here.

hth,
-boris

--