From: Benjamin Winkler (Benjamin.Winkler_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-26 14:21:09

References can not be copied. Thus, you can't make boost::any contain a reference (which is what mean when you write boost::any<double&>, I assume).

In your example, msgargs.push_back(dref) calls the any-constructor any(const T&) with T being double, and this copies the value, not the reference itself.
When you call msgargs.push_back(dptr), it calls the any(const T&) with T being double*. The value is copied again, only this time, the value is a pointer.

Benjamin Winkler