From: Timmo Stange (ts_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-28 18:19:41

Gottlob Frege wrote:
>> It seems that now that we drop locks before running slots, we can get by
>> with using boost/detail/lightweight_mutex.hpp for our mutex. Since it is
>> header-only, and apparently compiles to a null mutex if the compiler is in
>> single-threaded mode, I don't see much need for a ThreadingModel template
>> parameter on the signal class any more. I'm dropping it from
>> thread_safe_signals.
>
> What if I want to use a single-threaded signal in a multi-threaded
> program? ie some of my signals are multi-threaded, but I also have
> some signals (for UI updates?) that will only ever be on the main/UI
> thread.

Yes, same here. I also would like to set deferred notification (through
a message queue) on top of signals where that is advised for performance
reasons. There are several scenarios in which you can ensure the thread-
safety externally and use a single-threaded signal.

On the other end of the scale I considered offering two different multi-
threaded policies, of which one would serialize signal invocations and
the other would allow them concurrently.

Regards

Timmo Stange