From: james.jones_at_[hidden]
Date: 2007-03-07 16:11:43

From: me22 <me22.ca_at_[hidden]>
> I don't think you can "extend" classes that already exist. Note, for
> example, that boost has integer_traits, and doesn't try to modify
> numeric_limits.
>
> Why do you want the concept to be in numeric_limits? Can you not
> simply use is_decimal_type?

I should be more precise - by "extend" I really mean "specialize". I'd like to provide specializations for numeric_limits for my new decimal types. I can certainly just provide my own decimal_limits class (and have implemented this already), but the idea is to create a drop-in replacement for, say, double - and existing code likely uses numeric_limits<T> with T=double already, so being able to provide this with T=my_decimal_type would be ideal.

-
James Jones Administrative Data Mgmt.
Webmaster 375 Raritan Center Pkwy, Suite A
Data Architect Edison, NJ 08837