From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-14 19:06:23

Dmitri Lyfar wrote:
> Hi
> I would like to participate in Google Summer of Code in this year.

Great, welcome! Note, this discussion would probably be better hosted in the
development list, so I've cross-posted it there.

> I reviewed boost projects for last years and found an interesting project, I
> think. If you go to the link below you will see a short description for that
> library:
> http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?Google_Summer_Of_Code_2006#SQL
>
> The goal of this post is to define the main library features, which will be
> useful for users.
> Is that library useful for C++ community?
> If you are using(or have ever used) similar C++ libraries for work with SQL:
> which of features do you want to have? Also I want to notice one of the
> biggest beauty of that approach: you can get the compiler to type-check the
> SQL-expression, what do you think about that?

Well, I'll be brutally honest -- I don't think I would go that direction. We
didn't pick a database project last year because a majority of the mentors
agreed that the 'dsl-based' approach was more of a toy than reality. The main
reason for this is that in 'real-world' applications queries are often dynamic
and must be built at run-time. So, before we get ahead of ourselves and think
about 'sql embedded in C++' we need the basics of getting database access.

At the point the leading candidate for boostification of basic db access is SOCI:

http://soci.sourceforge.net/

As I understand the state of affairs, the main barrier to Boost submission is
getting the code into the usual boost structure, writing additional tests and
such. I"ve cc'ed a couple of principles on SOCI, so they may want to comment
on my perception. However, if I'm correct, a great SOC submission may in fact
be to Boostify SOCI. It's not as 'sexy' as the embedded SQL, but I, for one
would be a big supporter.

Jeff