From: Jeff Dunlap (jeff_j_dunlap_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-16 17:42:15

Nathan McDaniel <n.j01 <at> haungry.com> writes:

> Hi Jeff,I'm not real clear either on the difference between 'stage'
and 'install' (seem to be different only in the default folders they place
things), but this is what I'm doing:First, I build Boost with this command (I
only want the release libraries and only statically linked--builds a bit
faster):bjam "-sBUILD=release <runtime-link>static" "-sTOOLS=vc-8_0" --
prefix=./boost-built  install
> When it's done, you'll have a "boost-built" subfolder with a "boost" folder
and a "lib" folder.  I don't plan on routinely rebuilding 1.33.1, so I copy
the "boost-built" folder into one of my project folders and delete the boost
build directory/files.  Then add the "boost-built\boost" subfolder to your
include search path, and the "boost-built\lib" subfolder to your library search
path.

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for your response. I'm new to VC++ and don't know how libs are
configured for use in VC. Do you make a brand new copy of the built boost
libraries each time you make a new application that references boost? Is it
possible to have a single built boost library and statically link to it from
other applications we write? Or is it only possible to do this by dynamically
linking to DLLs?

Thanks again...Please advise