From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-22 09:35:01

Gottlob Frege wrote:

> why doesn't bind use tuple (internally)?

I don't remember. Tuple precedes Bind in the formal review schedule, so this
is not the reason. I probably didn't consider Tuple stable enough to build
on it. In those times, compilers such as MSVC6, Borland 5.5, HP aCC 3.x (?)
were still important and had interesting limitations. It's easier to fix a
compiler issue if everything is self-contained.

One case where this paid off recently is when I added the space optimization
to _bi::listN at Doug Gregor's request, to make placeholders not take up
space in a bound expression. This optimization could've been more difficult
with a tuple-based implementation.