From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-29 12:34:42

on Thu Mar 29 2007, "Kelly Burkhart" <kelly.burkhart-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/28/07, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> The instructions for building Boost.Python with BBv2 are still being
>> written. Thanks for your patience.
>>

> David,
>
> Thanks for the reply, the primary problem was that I did not have
> user-config.jam in my home directory. I was in some sense wearing
> blinders. After years of building and installing like this:
>
> ./configure
> make
> (become root)
> make install
>
> It didn't occur to me that I needed a configuration file in some
> directory other than where I issued the bjam command. This could have
> been caused by my reluctance to dig through the substantial boost
> build documentation to use the tool one time. Or my thick skull.

We do have a configure script in the Boost root directory, if you're
more comfortable with that.

> Is there some file that bjam looks for in the source directory in
> which I could have put the contents of user-config.jam? Even with the
> knowledge that HOME is the proper location for the file, it is still
> not nice in this scenario:
>
> - download boost
> - build bjam
> - create user-config.jam in home directory
> - bjam ... stage
> - check that build succeeded
> - become root
> - copy the same user-config.jam to root's home directory
> - bjam ... install
> - clean up user-config.jam files so that they don't surprise me 2
> years from now when I try to remember this process to build 1.35.

Yep, agreed. I would use sudo.

But you can set BOOST_BIULD_PATH in your environment to point to the
directory where your user-config.jam resides.

> Hope my experience assists you in improving the build documentation.

I hate to say this, but that's someone else's job... (even if I might
end up being forced to do it). The Getting Started Guide is enough of
a challenge for me.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting