From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-11 22:41:31

Hi All -

I'm happy to announce that Boost will be mentoring 9 Google SoC projects this
year. They are:

Title Student Mentor
User-friendly graphs and their measures Andrew Sutton Jeremy Siek
FastCGi and SCGI-compatible CGI library Darren Garvey Christopher M Kohlhoff
Boost 'Big Integer' proposal Arseny Kapoulkine Jeff Garland
Signal Network library Stjepan Rajko Douglas Gregor
Evolutionary Computation Library Aaron Garrett Jaakko Järvi
Application to extend Boost regex with recursive matching, named
sub-expressions, and automata-based matching
                                        Hugh Wimberly John Maddock
Visualization Of Arrays And STL Containers
                                        Jacob R>Voytko Joaquín L. Muñoz
Boost.Extension and Reflection Mariano G. Consoni Hartmut Kaiser
A Generic Geometric Library Huseyin Akcan Herve Bronnimann

You can find the abstracts of these projects online here:

http://code.google.com/soc/boost/about.html

As with last year, there were many worthy students and projects that
ultimately were not selected. So, for all the students that were not selected
realize that the competition for a very few slots was immense. My main advice
for students that might want to try again next year is to start participating
now -- it really helps to hang out on the list, submit patches, and work on
ideas well in advance of SoC.

I'd like to thank the mentoring team that evaluated the ~220 applications we
received this year. It takes a huge effort to go thru these, read, rank,
clarify and give feedback. Note that in addition to the mentors above Andreas
Huber, Rene Rivera, and Daniel Wallin all helped with evaluations.

For those coming to BoostCon I'll be giving a presentation on Friday about
Boost and SoC:

http://www.boostcon.com/program/sessions#garland-summer-of-code

And, if you aren't coming to BoostCon, well, you should ;-)

http://www.boostcon.com/registration

Jeff