From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-13 12:03:22

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Jeff Garland wrote:
>
>> Vladimir Prus wrote:
>> Sure, it's "Intellectual Property". The issue is getting proper
>> permission
>> from all the presenters
>
> Unless there's a talk given by all presenters together, you don't
> need permission from all of them.

People want us to record all the sessions and make them available. That means
collection permission from each presenter.

>> and the legalities to do that correctly. We'd
>> probably need to consult a lawyer, write a contract, etc.
>
> Aren't you complicating things? For example, if you make available
> a recording of your own talk from your own website, there's
> very little fear that you'll sue yourself for copyright infringement.
> Am I missing something?

Yes, you are. Presenters are free to record and upload their own presentations
-- not worried about that. But, if the BoostCon conference committee makes
provision to record a talk from someone that works for a large corporation,
and they don't have permission to release their presentation on video, and
someone at said large corporation sees it and decides its wrong, we will be
sued or threatened with a lawsuit. This is why conferences make presenters
sign releases.

Jeff