From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-13 19:06:10

on Fri Apr 13 2007, Vladimir Prus <ghost-AT-cs.msu.su> wrote:

> Why? If you just happened to lease a recording equipment to the
> speaker, who used it to record his talk and publish it on this
> personal site, you're not responsible for anything. It's just
> without recording equipment available, most speakers won't bother to
> do it themself.
>
> I see you've made up your mind that it's too much effort, which is
> your decision, but it's a pity anyway.

The effort is definitely part of it. You have no idea what has been
involved in putting this conference on; it's no casual undertaking.
It's time for those who've been working on it from the beginning to
stop making new plans and concentrate on making sure BoostCon comes
off sucessfully.

Also, like it or not, registration fees play a key role in making this
conference successful, ongoingly. BoostCon, like Boost, is an
all-volunteer effort for no profit. We're not Google; our budget --
aside from a couple of nominal donations made by the companies of
conference organizers -- is *entirely* generated by registration fees.
I don't see any reason to reduce the incentive to attend by making it
possible to see the talks for free. Anyone who opts not to stretch
his wallet or schedule to attend because he can "attend online" (and
there will be some) does so at the expense of BoostCon.

Appearing to "make the conference available online" also goes against
the grain of an event designed to add to Boost the unique values of
face-to-face collaboration (we already do online collaboration well).
If we're really successful in creating that focus, online copies of
the talks won't even serve as representative advertising for next
years' event, and could work against us in the long run because people
won't "get" what's so special about what we're doing.

So, while I hope people will write about and describe the conference
and even the ideas presented in the talks, I feel entirely
unapologetic about saying that if you want to experience BoostCon,
make the trip out and be a part of it. It's not just your
registration dollars that count, it's also your questions, ideas, and
participation.

And on that note, I hope to see as many of you as *actually* possible,
in Aspen next month :)

Cheers,

--
Dave Abrahams