From: Paul Giaccone (paulg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-17 12:50:21

Does anyone know of any evidence that the memory management in smart_ptr
might be incompatible with Maya, in particular, in gcc 3.2.3?

My supervisor, who is unfamiliar with Boost's smart_ptr library, but is
familiar with Maya, tells me that Maya has its own memory management,
and that Boost's smart pointers might somehow interfere with this.

I've used Boost's smart pointers for long enough that I really, really,
really don't want to go back to the horrors of having to delete memory
that I allocate on the heap and spending hours tracking down memory
leaks if I get it wrong. I'd really rather not do that, especially as
it's a potential memory leak that I'm trying to fix (Maya plug-ins are
created using a bare "new" which doesn't seem to require a corresponding
delete, according to the examples I have seen).

So someone please tell me that is couldn't possibly be true.

Thanks.