From: Yuval Ronen (ronen_yuval_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-05 14:17:25

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Yuval Ronen wrote:
>
>> I downloaded 1.34.0 beta, compiled it using
>>
>> bjam --toolset=msvc --without-python stage
>>
>> then wrote a small program that uses Boost.Thread. It didn't link. The
>> linker was looking for libboost_thread-vc80-mt-gd-1_34.lib, but couldn't
>> find it. Rightfully enough, because there was no such file. The bjam
>> command created libboost_thread-vc-mt-gd-1_34.lib - almost the same,
>> just "vc" instead of "vc80".
>>
>> So I ran bjam again, this time with
>>
>> bjam --toolset=msvc-8.0 --without-python stage
>>
>> and then everything worked fine.
>>
>> This can a be a bug either in Boost.Build, or in the autolink feature,
>> or in the documentation (getting_started.html) that suggests that
>> specifying the toolset version is optional, or in my brain... Which is it?
>
> The way I view it is that in 1.33.1, you'd specify vc_8_0 as toolset,
> and in 1.34 you have to specify msvc-8.0 to achieve same effect.
> The behaviour with plain "msvc" may be a bug, or feature, or doc issue,
> depending on your point of view.

So what's your point of view? Anyone else?

As a Boost user, my point of view that if the docs says I can use plain
"msvc" and use autolink, but in fact I can't, then it's certainly a bug.
Whether it's a doc bug, or a different bug, is up to the Boost
developers to decide. I personally don't have any opinion on this. All I
know is that the docs don't match the status in the real life.