From: Kirit Sælensminde (kirit.saelensminde_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-06 11:09:20

John Maddock wrote:
>>> In /more/getting_started/windows.html in the Boost 1.34.0 beta
>>> package. Specifically look at section 5.2.4 and section 6.
>> Well, if it's not a Boost.Build / BoostAutolink bug, it's certainly
>> surprising. In one context, boost code automatically detects the msvc
>> version and forces a request to a library whose name contains that
>> version number, and in another context, boost code generates a
>> complicated library name, ignoring the version number, that can
>> **never** be linked to by any Boost code unless autolinking is
>> disabled. This should **just work**, and it's possible (probably
>> easy) to implement. Sorry, I just can't accept that it's the fault of
>> the documentation.
>
> I don't think there's anything that autolinking can do to fix this: it
> requires that libraries are named consistently, and there's no way around
> that.
>
> So we either need to update the docs, or preferably fix Boost.Build to
> detect the MSVC version. As Dave says it does this in other contexts
> already, so it should be possible.

Given the hint that the version number in the tool specification was
important I managed to get the right build output names using
--tools=msvc-7.1 (took me a couple of tries to work out the right tool
name to use).

Personally I think a documentation change (clarification?) is enough if
it's the only thing holding up the release.

It would be perfect if it could do this without the tool specification
*and* it could hide warnings that clearly aren't of concern to the libs
involved (C4511 no copy constructor can be made - seems to be one). If
it is only a matter of getting different output libraries then I can't
see that it really helps that much from a presentation point of view.
The same benefit can be had from just telling people which --tools
command to use and the default I guess works without auto-linking.