From: KSpam (keesling_spam_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-08 12:47:11

Jeff,

I modified your test code to move the data internal to the source code.  I
also added a configuration option to use the bzip2 compressor instead of the
zlib compressor.  I have attached my version of the test code, along with a
Makefile.

Here are some specs for my test machine:

Platform: Gentoo Linux x86_64
Kernel: 2.6.19-gentoo-r5
Compiler: gcc version 4.1.1 (Gentoo 4.1.1-r3)
RAM: 2 GB

When I run test_zip_1_33_1, test_bzip2_1_33_1, and test_bzip2_1_34_0, all
tests run successfully without any noticeable delay or memory overhead (40000
iterations).

When I run test_zip_1_34_0, I see a significant memory spike that eats all of
my available RAM.  As the iterations increase, the delay between iterations
increases.  I ran this test for 20000 iterations because 40000 iterations
slows my machine to a grinding halt.  I did not receive a bad_alloc
exception, but I would have preferred that to the near system crash that
occurred!

This is a showstopper to using boost_1_34_0 on my projects.  Thanks for
pointing it out!

Justin