From: Kim Barrett (kab_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-14 15:34:34

[Should this discussion be moved to the developers list?]

At 1:07 PM -0400 5/14/07, Christopher Woods wrote:
>I think the issue is much larger than just an outdated zlib.hpp... I just
>did a simple comparison between the 1.33.1 and 1.34.0 versions of the
>iostream library source files. (1.33.1 files from a zip when 1.33.1 was
>first released; 1.34.0 files from zip pulled down this morning.) There are
>several cases where the files in 1.33.1 are **newer** than the ones in
>1.34.0... in many cases by several months:

I looked at the list you generated, and then looked at the rest of the
iostreams library. It appears that several changes were made on the
RC_1_33_0 branch around 20-23 months ago, but that none of those changes
was ever made to what was HEAD at the time. As a result, they were not
picked up as part of the RC_1_34_0 tag.

Without access to the library maintainer (and possibly even then - memories
fade), it may be difficult to tell whether this is a case of failure to merge
the changes back to HEAD or making the changes on the wrong branch (the
RC_1_33_0 branch instead of HEAD).

The changes involved were presumably tested as part of testing the 1.33.0
and 1.33.1 releases, so are probably reasonably safe to merge. But certainly
not completely safe, since they haven't been tested at all against other
changes that are part of 1.34.0.

And some spot-checking in other areas of the library found more issues

filter/symmetric.hpp
positioning.hpp
- 1.33.0 changes merged to both trunk and 1.34.0 branch: good

chain.hpp
- some merging to trunk done, but diffs are large: not sure

char_traits.hpp
- merge from 1.33.0 to trunk done: good
- unmerged change on 1.34.0 branch: bad

detail/bool_trait_def.hpp
- merged from 1.33.0 to trunk done: good
- unmerged change on 1.34.0 branch: bad

detail/config/codecvt.hpp
- merged from HEAD to 1.34.0 done: good

detail/streambuf/indirect_streambuf.hpp
- unmerged changes on 1.33.0 branch: bad
- unmerged changes on 1.34.0 branch: bad

There may well be other problems that I missed.