From: Caleb Epstein (caleb.epstein_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-22 22:01:06

On 5/22/07, Cliff Green <cliffg_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Even if Asio didn't provide nice default handling of
> "message boundaries", it's pretty easy to write the logic
> yourself in a non-blocking design, whether using an async
> (proactive) or reactive model.

I'd say that its not asio's job to provide any messaging semantics,
and I applaud Chris for keeping the library focused on its core goals.
 Higher level functionality can come later, but you have all the tools
you need to do this in asio already.

I personally find that having to implement a "connection" class for a
given communications protocol encourages good design. You end up
breaking the protocol down into small functions that are easy to read
and debug. Your class ends up being a nice little FSM, which is the
Right Way to do this sort of thing anyway.

Phooey to blocking reads.

--
Caleb Epstein